Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Culinary Adventure


Ed has begun to make sausage! He has a grinder attachment for the mixer and has been studying two treatises on sausage making and charcuterie and has made a batch of Danish sausage and a batch of spicy Sicilian sausage. Next up, he plans to branch out from the world of fresh sausage making and try some dried, cured, smoked and fermented recipies including pancetta!

Sausage making is actually a much more complicated endeavor than I would have imagined, but he's studying and learning and so far having nothing but success!

2 comments:

Sardonicus said...

Natural casing or artificial?

What works is he studying? I heard that Michael Ruhlman's book Charcuterie - http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298 - is very good.

If he makes pancetta, I want in.

Edward said...

Also, yes! I am reading Charcuterie! It is a great book! I am trying to work my way up to Spanish Chorizo and Genoa Salami without killing myself of botulism. I am also using the bible on sausage making:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0025668609