| New |
Matilda was born at 5:58PM on Friday July 4, 2008. I labored at home for about 14 hours before checking into the hospital for the last 10. She was face up and I had to push for 2 hours, but every second was unquestionably worth it once I saw her squishy little self. I was instantly in love. She was a great baby. Had a little trouble with dairy and with establishing nursing but nursed exclusively for 7 months and didn't take any formula until she was 9 months old. She rolled and sat early, and started talking at 9 months old. I delighted in her every milestone. Actually, I did my best to just drink her in completely. I was barely able to sleep the first week--not because she didn't, but because I couldn't stop looking at her! She made me a mommy and has taught me new things about what that means every day for the last five years.
![]() |
| One |
When Matilda turned one, she was in her short-lived chubby phase, not yet walking and content to sit with you and her toys and talk and talk and talk. She had the biggest smiles and cutest cherubic little laugh and loved watermelon more than any other food. She had trouble digesting milk so I carefully made her a dairy free strawberry cake with dairy free frosting, which she steadfastly refused to even try and, instead, smeared it on Daddy. This was her only birthday as an only child, Evelyn was born 3 1/2 months later.
![]() |
| Two |
When Matilda turned 2, she was a big sister to 8 month old Evelyn, who she adored! She was obsessed with flowers and singing, just starting to get interested in princesses and loved to paint. She was also able to finally have dairy and couldn't wait to dive into the chocolate frosting on her birthday cake!
| Three |
Matilda requested a pink princess cake for her 3rd birthday, so I decorated it with pink roses and gold sparkles. At 3 years old she suddenly seemed like such a big kid! Going to preschool, watching movies, completely wrapped up in pretend play, helping out with her little sister and eagerly awaiting Adelaide's arrival a few months later!
![]() |
| Four |
As sweet as the newborn days were, and as exciting as it has been to see her reach all the milestones and make new discoveries over the last 5 years, I think 4 years old might be my favorite age so far! She's so clever and helpful and imaginative. We're able to sit and have conversations now and she remembers everything. She makes up songs, dances, and plays and I love to watch her performances. She is making friends and social connections, practicing her manners, increasing stamina and so much fun to do "girly" things with. She is a superlative big sister and can't wait for the newest little sister to arrive so she can help. I'm so so lucky to have this girl in my life.
And now, my baby is 5. Once she fell asleep last night, we decorated the dining room with red white and blue, wrapped her presents and put some balloons and a new birthday outfit in her bedroom to surprise her when she woke up. We didn't get a chance to wake her up with "Happy Birthday" this year--she was already too excited, standing at the side of my bed telling me it's her birthday and all about the balloons as the sun was just coming up.
We kept things simple this year, I'm on bedrest for the next 4 weeks, so I couldn't do a fancy cake and things like that. But, I did make her exactly what she wanted for lunch--watermelon on a stick, chips and star shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Grandma and Grandpa Gustafson came over for lunch and cake and presents. We surprised her with a strawberry ice cream cake decorated as a flag with glittery star sprinkles. She has loved everything. She has said "thank you" a million times today--before she even opened a single present. She's appreciated every little detail and it has been such a joy to celebrate her! We'll have a nice dinner and more presents and cake tonight with Grandma and Grandpa Greene, and next week she'll have more visitors. She keeps telling me about all the big kid stuff she can do now that she is 5. It's adorable. Happy birthday, Matilda! I hope it really is the best one yet! (until next year!)



No comments:
Post a Comment