A week before Halloween, Matilda insisted that she would need to be a fairy princess for trick or treating. I knew it would be too cold for the traditional leotard, tutu, wings ensemble. So, I hit the fabric store to make winter fairy princess costumes for both her and Evelyn. I also bought a sewing machine. I got home and Matilda and Evelyn hated the burgundy fabric and both wanted the hot pink. Thank goodness I bought enough hot pink for 2 costumes! I unpacked my sewing machine and got to work. But... the machine was a lemon and didn't work at all! So, I diligently got to work hand-sewing 2 hot pink velour faux fur trimmed fairy princess coats and 2 tutus. I, honestly, was pretty pleased with how they turned out!
The kids seemed excited, too. Until Halloween. Day of, Matilda decided her fairy costume was not "spooky" enough and elected to be a witch. The same witch she was last year that we got for a few bucks at the consignment shop. She said she'd be a fairy for trick or treating though. No dice. She went 100% witch. Thankfully, Evelyn loved the fairy costume and Matilda was an adorable little witch!
We went to Matilda's preschool for a costume parade and party. There was pumpkin decorating, a scavenger hunt and a story about monsters that the kids had made. It was super cute!
It was really chilly, but Trick or Treating in Geneva starts at 3:00, so, while the sun was still out, the big kids and Ed went out trick or treating in our new neighborhood. They quickly filled their bags with loot--more than 1 full sized candy bar! And there was even a party with hot chocolate, hot dogs and a bounce house. Ed reports that making them leave the party was exceedingly difficult and Matilda was so distraught she needed to be carried home because she just couldn't go any further (although she was sure she could bounce all night!) We only had 2 or 3 trick or treaters stop by, but it was definitely a successful Halloween!
No comments:
Post a Comment