Friday, January 23, 2009

Cute, soft, and cost-effective!

I know this probably seems crazy to a lot of you, but after doing considerable research, I've decided that cloth diapering is the best thing for our family right now. Matilda's sensitive skin seems to be bothered by all diapers except Pamper's Swaddlers, and they only go up to size 2, which she is already in. Cloth diapers are softer and aren't full of all kinds of chemicals that are in the other diapers that are bothering her skin. Also, turns out they are much more economical! With a coupon it costs about $22 to diaper Matilda in disposables for 7-9 days. So for the cost of less than 3 months of disposable diapering I've purchased all the supplies to make her cloth diaper stash--and even better, they're one size fits all and durable enough to last through 2 children! I'm happy with the savings... and they're SO cute!
Here's the first diaper I made, and Matilda modeling it:

The diaper and matching wipe (this is a fitted pocket diaper I made from a free Rita's Rump Pocket pattern)


Matilda showing off her fluffy butt:




Good to go with her Thirsties cover (a hand-me-down gift from a friend)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,

Good idea. I used regular diapers too and didn't think the extra wash loads were that big of a deal. Do you put them together with safety pins, or is there a different way now to do it? She looks very comfortable and cute.

Love,
Grandma Gustafson

Jen said...

Joanne-we don't use pins, there's a device called a snappi that is basically three short comb like things on the ends of stretchy arms that bite into the fabric to hold the diaper with no danger of sticking Matilda. They're quite simple and convenient!
Here's what it is: http://www.snappibaby.com/products/snappidiaperfastener.html